Share this page!
Volunteer at Madison Children’s Museum to make a difference in the lives of families and children and have fun along the way! MCM has a variety of volunteer opportunities for everyone. See below for details.
- Youth: ages 8-12 with a caregiver
- Teens: ages 13-17
- Adults: ages 18 and above
- Groups and Organizations
- To make a difference in the community
- To meet new people
- To build your resume
- To put a smile on a child’s face
- To teach a child something new
- To enhance your career opportunites
All Volunteers: All volunteers must complete a volunteer application and clear a background check prior to their first day.
Regularly Scheduled Volunteers: Volunteers who want to commit to a weekly shift must:
- Complete and submit a volunteer application
- Come to the museum for an informational interview
- Clear a background check
- Attend a General MCM Orientation
- Complete training specific to the volunteer position
- Commit to 12 weeks of volunteering
Group and Organization Opportunities
If you are interested in having your group or organization volunteer at MCM, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 608.256.6445, ext. 552 for more details!
Youth, Adult, and Family Volunteer Opportunities
All volunteer shifts are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Museum Associates: Museum Associates will work in the museum’s exhibit spaces in a customer service capacity.
- Visitor Services
- Special Events
- Birthday Parties
Museum Fellows: Museum Fellows will work along side Education staff to assist with programming and staffing exhibit spaces.
- Log Cabin
- Art Studio
- Rooftop Ramble
- Summer Camp Ambassadors: visit here to see our Summer Camp options and dates
Museum Specialist: Museum Specialist will work on special projects as assigned.
- Behind the Scenes
- Data Entry
To apply for any of the volunteer positions listed above, please follow the simple steps below:
1) Fill out the application below. Position shift times are located on the application.
For individuals age 18 and older. For individuals age 12 to 17 years, please also have a parent/guardian sign the application.
2) Return the completed form by email, fax, or mail to:
Jessie Rae Starr
Madison Children’s Museum
100 N. Hamilton Street
Madison, WI 53703
3) Once the completed form has been received, you will be contacted for the next step in the application process.
Orientation and Training
New volunteers are required to attend at least one exhibits training and one orientation session. Exhibits training should take place prior to start of volunteering. If this is not possible, training should be completed with one month of their start date.
Dates and Times:
- General MCM Orientation: May 15 OR June 6 OR June 17 from 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Visitor Engagement Training: June 3 from 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Art Studio Training: TBD
- Rooftop Training: May 25 OR June 22 from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
If you have questions, feel free to contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 608.256.6445, ext. 552
Thanks for your interest in Madison Children’s Museum! We look forward to having you become part of our museum community!